As you well know, the oh so wonderful world of Facebook is ever-changing. From images to organic reach to buttons to ads, the rules are constantly shifting and transitioning to keep us social media managers on our toes. Well, I’m here to lend a helping hand to all that use social media marketing with tips and tricks for using Facebook wisely.
1. Facebook Page Dimensions
Make your Facebook page grab your fan’s attention, look professional and represent your brand. Nobody wants to be the guy with the cut off Facebook cover photo – so follow these image guidelines:
2. Facebook Ad Dimensions
Since organic reach on Facebook has diminished greatly over the past year, a well crafted Facebook ad campaign is becoming key to reaching more fans. Make sure yours translates well by following these ad/sponsored post dimensions:
3. Tips and Tricks
As the social media manager at GoBeyond SEO, I spend time getting to know the world that is Facebook. Along the way, I’ve learned (usually the hard way) some tips and tricks to help get the most from social media. Here is what you need to know:
- Videos now get the best organic reach! Facebook recently added a video section on both personal and brand pages to highlight the importance of video. What does that mean for your company? You need to get recording! Plus, you might as well upload the videos to YouTube to have content there.
- Yes, individual photos now get the least amount of organic traffic (it was previously the most), posting multiple photos – such as from an event or celebrating a holiday like #NationalPuppyDay.
- The less copy the better – while Facebook doesn’t strictly limit you to 140 characters, it’s organic reach rules do. The less characters in your post, the better! I would recommend staying under 100.
- If suitable for your brand (I wouldn’t recommend this for B2B companies, unless you have a very fun brand voice), use emoticons.
- Increase engagement with the following types of posts:
- Cute puppies (no joke, it works)
- Post pictures that display office environment
- Stick with the 80/20 rule. That means 80% of your posts should provide value or engagement opportunities to fans, the other 20% can be promotional posts that sell your products/services/solutions.
- I’ve found the best days to post are Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. However, Sunday nights (8pm-ish) also prove to be promising. But I recommend taking a look at your own insights to get the best days and times because it varies per industry.
- Best times to post are 9am – 12pm and 8pm – 10pm → but just like with days, test the best times for you!
Remember, Facebook is constantly changing. That means, while I think that I have a full grasp on things, that’s only going to last maybe 2 weeks before something changes again. Always be sure to look at your insights to fully grasp the best times/days/posts that work for your brand. Plus, make sure you stay up-to-date by reading blogs, such as:
Plus, stay in-the-know by following the right people on Twitter and following #socialmedia hashtagged posts. Facebook is going to continue to switch up on us, so to keep your organic reach and engaged audience do the work to stay current. Or, if that seems daunting, hire out your social media marketing to a professional (coughLIKEMEcough) to manage your account(s) for you.